BigDataX SCC Program -- Summer 2017
We are looking for Chicago area high school and undergraduate students (both domestic and international students) who are pationate about computer systems, and would like to participate in the Student Cluster Challenge competition at the IEEE/ACM Supercomputing/SC 2017 conference in Denver Colorado in November 2017. We are particularly looking for high school students who have had some computer science exposure through either coursework or hobbies, and undergraduate students in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, data science, and mathematics, who do not graduate before December 2017. IIT/ANL assembled two prior teams in 2014 and 2015 who participated in this SCC competition. To apply for the SCC17 team, see the online application.
The Student Cluster Competition is an annual supercomputing competition aimed at high school and undergraduate students interested in computer systems. Students compete with clusters they designed from commercial hardware to run 5 applications for 48 hours straight to see which cluster yields the best results.
With financial and technical support from Argonne National Laboratory as well as other industry leaders (past support came from Intel, Mellanox, and NVIDIA), 6 high school and undergraduate students will compete on the world stage in November 2017 in Denver Colorado against some of the brightstest students from around the world.
- IIT: Illinois Institute of Technology
- ANL: Argonne National Laboratory
- UChicago: University of Chicago
- High school student or Undergraduate student in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering
- Both domestic and international students are eligible
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Be a student in the Chicago area; for universities, we are specifically targeting students from Illinois Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Illinois at Chicago, DePaul University, and Loyola University.
- High school students, women and minorities are encouraged to apply
- The final 6 students selected to be on the official SCC17 team (decisions made by August 18th, 2017) would have to continue preparing for this competition in the Fall 2017 semester with a commitment of 10 hours a week, and be willing to travel to Denver Colorado from November 11th to November 16th 2017 on an all expense paid trip to the IEEE/ACM SC 2017 conference.
- Application deadline: March 10th, 2017
- Notification of decision: March 24th, 2017
- Program starts: June 12th, 2017
- Program ends: August 18th, 2017
- Competition: November 11th, 2017 through November 16th, 2017
- Spend 10 weeks immersed in systems work in understanding high-performance computing, as well as tunning scientific applications on cutting edge computing platforms and networks.
- Prepare for college (for high school students) and graduate school (for undergrads)
- Attend the IEEE/ACM Supercomputing/SC 2017 conferen in Denver Colorado in November 2017 (all expenses paid by IIT and/or SC17)
- Some financial support is available, and will be included in the offer letter, depending on the number of qualified students who will participate