BigDataX REU Program -- Summer 2015
The BigDataX (from theory to practice in Big Data computing at eXtreme scales) is a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) site in Chicago Illinois. The program has four mentors at two institutions, the Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Chicago, with a variety of complementing expertise from theory to programming languages to distributed systems; more information on potential projects has been posted. More information can be found at the general BigDataX site. To apply to the program, see the online application (deadline March 17th, 2015). For eligibility requirements, click here.
Below is BigDataX REU 2015 students and their mentors at IIT in June 2015.
Below is BigDataX REU 2015 Site along with the MEDIX REU 2015 Site visiting Argonne National Laboratory in July 2015.
For more pictures from the Summer 2015 program, click here.
- IIT: Illinois Institute of Technology
- UChicago: University of Chicago
- Data-Intensive Computing Applications (more here)
- Parallel Programming Systems (more here)
- Distributed Storage Systems (more here)
- Theory of Big Data
- Undergraduate student in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering at a US institution
- US citizen or permanent resident on or before June 22nd, 2015
- Minimum GPA 3.3
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Application deadline: March 17th, 2015
- Notification of decision: April 10th, 2015
- Program starts: June 15th, 2015
- Program ends: August 21st, 2015
- Spend 10 weeks immersed in research on Big Data at either Illinois Institute of Technology or University of Chicago
- Prepare for graduate school
- Publish papers and attend international conferences
- Spend the summer in one of the greatest cities in the world, Chicago Illinois
- Finances (per summer):
- $5000 stipend
- $600 relocation allowance
- $650 travel funds to attend conference
- $1200 food substinence
- Housing included on the IIT or UChicago campus