[BigDataX] paid research opportunity at IIT this summer

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Fri Mar 4 11:57:54 CST 2016

Hi CAMRAS Recipients,
I wanted to offer my congratulations to receiving the CAMRAS
scholarship! It is such a great achievement for you, that you should
feel proud of yourselves and your accomplishments! Some of you have
received the University Scholarship, which is an equally impressive
achievement!

I want to take this opportunity to let you know about a research program
we run over the summer at IIT and UChicago (see below). Although most
student who partake in this program are typically juniors and seniors
working on their undergrad degree (most at other universities outside
IIT), I believe you could do very well in such a program! You can
participate in this program without joining IIT in the fall, as this
program is completely separate from your decision of where you want to
study for your bachelor degree. I hope you will look closely at this
program, and if you are interested, please apply ASAP! The deadline has
passed, but we are just now starting to review applications. Any
applications we receive in the next week, we should be able to evaluate
along with the rest of the applications.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Ioan
==================

BigDataX REU Program -- Summer 2016
http://datasys.cs.iit.edu/grants/BigDataX/2016/index.html

The BigDataX (from theory to practice in Big Data computing at eXtreme
scales) is a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) site in
Chicago Illinois. The program has four mentors at two institutions, the
Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Chicago, with a
variety of complementing expertise from theory to programming languages
to distributed systems. To apply to the program, see the online
application at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ix7gAqroBhT199Yh3kDDg_fGuCj6dndZSbD1PG-_dy4/viewform
(deadline February 29th, 2016).

Institutions:
- Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT): Computer Science &
Data-Intensive Distributed Systems Laboratory
- UChicago: University of Chicago (UChicago): Computation Institute

Mentors (bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu):
- Ioan Raicu (IIT)
- Gruia Calinescu (IIT)
- Mike Wilde (UChicago)
- Justin Wozniak (UChicago)

Projects:
- Data-Intensive Computing Applications
- Parallel Programming Systems
- Distributed Storage Systems
- Theory of Big Data

Eligibility Requirements:
- Undergraduate student in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering
at a US institution
- US citizen or permanent resident on or before May 23rd, 2015
- Minimum GPA 3.3
- 2 letters of recommendation

Important Dates:
- Application deadline: February 29th, 2016
- Letters of recommendation deadline: March 7th, 2016
- Notification of decision: March 21st, 2016
- Program starts: May 23rd, 2016
- Program ends: July 29th, 2016

Program Highlights:
- Spend 10 weeks immersed in research on Big Data at Illinois Institute
of Technology and University of Chicago
- Prepare for graduate school
- Publish papers and attend international conferences
- Spend the summer in one of the greatest cities in the world, Chicago
Illinois

Finances (per summer):
- $5000 stipend
- $600 relocation allowance
- $650 travel funds to attend conference
- Housing included on the IIT campus

Online Application:
To apply to the program, please submit your complete online application
by the February 29th deadline at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ix7gAqroBhT199Yh3kDDg_fGuCj6dndZSbD1PG-_dy4/viewform.
For any questions, please send email to bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu.