[BigDataX] Big Data Student Application: Michael Fischer

Lincke, Susan J lincke at uwp.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:55:36 CST 2016

Dear Big Data Mentors,

Michael Fischer is very interested in machine learning, and has done an independent studies with Dr Riley at this university on that same topic.  This is remarkable because he is a sophomore.  He was thrilled to hear about this REU and asked me to write a letter of recommendation for him.

Michael Fischer has the core programming language courses, mainly in Java but also C, C++.  Remarkably, Michael actually tested out of our first Java majors class (CS 241) and has taken CS 242 with an A grade.  Since I used to teach these courses at IIT as an instructor, I know that our courses are close to IIT equivalent.  He is the only person I have heard of that has successfully tested out of the first programming course by learning on his own.  He currently has a 4.0 average here at this university.

I know Michael because he is taking CS 279 Business Info Security with me.  He is in a group of 3 CS majors, and he is the youngest.  He is leading that group in information security.  He completed the entire semester of quizzes in the first two weeks of school.

I really think that Michael is an exceptional achiever, and will do a great job for you.  In addition, he is personable, responsible and very likeable.

Susan Lincke PhD
Associate Professor Computer Science
University of Wisconsin-Parkside