[BigDataX] Panel: A Day in the Life of a PhD Student

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:46:39 CDT 2016

Please join us for an REU BigDataX Panel on Friday at 3:30pm in SB111!

Title: A Day in the Life of a PhD Student

Date:  Friday, 7/1/2016, 3:30pm-5pm

Where:  Stuart Building, Room 111

This interactive panel will introduce the daily routines and ups and
downs of a PhD student as they go through working towards their PhD
degrees. The guest speakers are PhD Students on different stages of
their PhD journey. The panel members will talk about the challenges that
they deal with throughout the PhD program. Undergraduate and Master
students, bring your questions and concerns and share them with our
panel speakers.

PhD Student Speakers:

Name: Sean Wallace

Sean Wallace

Bio: I am a fourth year Ph.D student in the Department of Computer
Science at Illinois Institute of Technology, co-advised by  Dr. Zhiling
Lan and Dr. Mike Papka. I work in the Scalable Computing Software Lab
(SCS). My research has been focused on all things concerning the energy
consumption of leadership class supercomputers. This includes the design
of a monitoring library which provides sub-second resolution of
power consumption at an application level, energy aware scheduling, as
well as in-dept analysis of application power performance on different
classes of hardware.

Name: Jian Peng

Inline image 1

Bio:I'm Jian Peng , a 1st year Phd student at Illinois Institute  of
Technology in the Computer Science department ,advised by Dr. Ioan
Raicu. My research insterests are in parallel computing and HPC.I got my
Bachelor in Software Engineering in 2012 at Harbin Institute of
Technology, China. After graduation, I worked at TP-LINK as Software
Engineer for 3 years. I was also doing a part-time research assistant at
Peking University in 2015. For now I'm working in Dr. Ioan Raicu's
Datasys laboratory.

Name: Anthony Kougkas
https://about.me/anthonykougkas

Bio: I am a 3rd year PhD Student at IIT, working at SCS laboratory. My
advisoris Dr. Xian-He Sun.

We are looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Associate Professor