[BigDataX] attention all undergrads: BigDataX REU Site in Chicago IL -- applications due 02/29/2016

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:39:34 CST 2016

Dear BigDataX 2015 applicants:
Thank you for applying to the 2015 BigDataX program last year. We are
running the program again, and we wanted to bring to your attention this
year's announcement. If you are still eligible, we encourage you to
apply again.
http://datasys.cs.iit.edu/grants/BigDataX/2016/

Regards,
Ioan (on behalf of the BigDataX team)

=========
BigDataX REU Program -- Summer 2016
http://datasys.cs.iit.edu/grants/BigDataX/2016/index.html

The BigDataX (from theory to practice in Big Data computing at eXtreme
scales) is a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) site in
Chicago Illinois. The program has four mentors at two institutions, the
Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Chicago, with a
variety of complementing expertise from theory to programming languages
to distributed systems. To apply to the program, see the online
application at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ix7gAqroBhT199Yh3kDDg_fGuCj6dndZSbD1PG-_dy4/viewform
(deadline February 29th, 2016).

Institutions:
- Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT): Computer Science &
Data-Intensive Distributed Systems Laboratory
- UChicago: University of Chicago (UChicago): Computation Institute

Mentors (bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu):
- Ioan Raicu (IIT)
- Gruia Calinescu (IIT)
- Mike Wilde (UChicago)
- Justin Wozniak (UChicago)

Projects:
- Data-Intensive Computing Applications
- Parallel Programming Systems
- Distributed Storage Systems
- Theory of Big Data

Eligibility Requirements:
- Undergraduate student in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering
at a US institution
- US citizen or permanent resident on or before May 23rd, 2015
- Minimum GPA 3.3
- 2 letters of recommendation

Important Dates:
- Application deadline: February 29th, 2016
- Letters of recommendation deadline: March 7th, 2016
- Notification of decision: March 21st, 2016
- Program starts: May 23rd, 2016
- Program ends: July 29th, 2016

Program Highlights:
- Spend 10 weeks immersed in research on Big Data at Illinois Institute
of Technology and University of Chicago
- Prepare for graduate school
- Publish papers and attend international conferences
- Spend the summer in one of the greatest cities in the world, Chicago
Illinois

Finances (per summer):
- $5000 stipend
- $600 relocation allowance
- $650 travel funds to attend conference
- Housing included on the IIT campus

Online Application:
To apply to the program, please submit your complete online application
by the February 29th deadline at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ix7gAqroBhT199Yh3kDDg_fGuCj6dndZSbD1PG-_dy4/viewform.
For any questions, please send email to bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu.