[BigDataX] Recommendation Letter for Ryan Fogarty

Tia Shelley tshell2 at uic.edu
Sat Mar 7 12:35:17 CST 2015

To Whom It May Concern,

Ryan Fogarty is an excellent candidate for an undergraduate research
positions. I had the pleasure of teaching him for his first semester of
computer science courses at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Despite
his limited coursework background, Ryan applied for an undergraduate
research position with my lab. The quality of his first semester's coding
assignments and the thought shown in his interview tasks convinced me to
 hire him, and I have been delighted by his work.

Although he had no prior knowledge of objective-c or computer vision before
starting to work with me in mid-January, in 6 weeks, he has already learned
enough that he has been able to create an iPad application that allows the
user to take two pictures, stitch them together, and then threshold the
image to do some simple color detection.

Ryan has a great sense for when a problem requires outside help and when it
is within his reach if he just perseveres. This has been a great boon, as
he isn't merely striving to solve the coding task before him, but also the
greater research project. Our conversations have been rich and have allowed
for new developments in the direction of the project development. I have no
doubt that should Ryan chose to pursue a graduate career, he will excel.

Thus, it is with great enthusiasm that I recommend Ryan for the BigDataX
REU program. I believe that he will rise to any challenge placed before him
with curiosity. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Thank you,
Tia Shelley
Research/Teaching Assistant at the University of Illinois at Chicago