[BigDataX] project assignments

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Jun 22 08:43:12 CDT 2015

Hi all,
We have concluded our project assignments. We are please to say that
everyone was assigned a project which they scored with a 4 (with the
exception of one student whose highest score was a 3)!

The summary breakdown for the student assignments are:

  * Mike/Justin (UChicago):
      o Basheer (2/5)
      o Jacob (3/4)
      o Mermer (1/4)
      o Jonathan (5/4)
  * Ioan (IIT):
      o David P. (9)
      o Daniel (14)
      o Ariel (17)
      o Chris (16)
      o Keshav (19)
  * Gruia (IIT):
      o David RC (21)
      o Sam (22)

Note that Ariel, Chris, and Keshav are funded from the CAREER award,
which is why I have 5 students assigned to my projects (instead of just 2).

The numbers in the parentheses are the 1 (or 2) projects assigned, which
map to the survey you completed over the weekend with the project
preferences. If you were assigned two projects, your mentors will give
you more details about the balance between the two projects.

For today, please continue to work from UChicago where your tutorials
are. And starting tomorrow, you can each go to work at the respective
institution where your mentors are.

Justin will be at UChicago to meet with Basheer, Jacob, Mermer, and
Jonathan. Gruia will coordinate the next meeting with David RC and Sam.
Tony will meet with David P., Daniel, Ariel, Chris, and Keshav today and
tomorrow to get you started. Each of your mentors will send you a
followup email with more specifics on things you can start with, reading
assignments, software to download and try, etc. I will be in on
Wednesday at IIT, and I will meet with my students then (I'll send a
meeting schedule by tomorrow for Wednesday).

We look forward to an exciting and productive summer!

Cheers,
Ioan, Mike, Justin, and Gruia

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu