[BigDataX] BigDataX REU Food & Transportation

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Jun 15 19:11:23 CDT 2015

Hi Jacob,
I am cc-ing the other mentors to keep them in the loop. About the $1200
in food allowance, we are trying to figure out our budget, but its very
likely we will not have these $1200 per student this summer. The issue
is that we were planning to house all the students at IIT, and we had
budgeted $800 per student for the entire summer. The issue was the
dates, we would have needed to start June 1st - August 7th, but that
would have rules out some of the students on a quarter based system. In
the end, we decided to house the students at UChicago at a cost of about
$3K a student per summer. Only 5 students asked for housing, but that
still means $15K towards housing. We had originally budgeted $6.4K. The
$1200 per student for food, plus the $6.4 housing funds, gives us $16K
between food and housing. So, we have to use the $1200 food allowance
towards the housing, and we have about $1000 collectively to spend for
food for the entire summer, across all students. This will be used for
the two lunches this week, the fair-well dinner in the last week, and
the weekly pizza we will order on Fridays.

I am sure you didn't want to hear about all the details, but I just
wanted you to understand why we initially advertised the $1200 food
allowance, but then decided to move that fund towards covering housing.

About transportation, for those students who will end up working at IIT,
we can discuss transportation options on Friday. There are bikes, buses,
trains, uber, taxis, etc. Given that 4 of you have to come to IIT, your
best bet is to come together and share a Uber ride, I bet the cost will
be $4~$5 per student per day (probably not much more than the bus or
train). We can discuss this more on Friday during the logistics session.

Ioan

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu