[BigDataX] REU Status

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Jun 15 14:07:10 CDT 2015

Hi Ariel,
Sorry about the mixup. The funding for your summer work is coming from a
different account, not the REU BigDataX program. Its still NSF REU, but
its a supplement, where we did not budget funds for food. But in the REU
BIgDataX program, we did. If we order food where its not per person, say
pizza, etc, then its not a problem. But if we go out to restaurants,
where the bill clearly states how many people ate, we need to be
careful. This week, there is only one more of these lunches on Wednesday
at UChicago. Most other days we have food, we will likely order pizza,
and this should not be a problem. The farewell dinner at the end of the
program might also be an issue, but we will deal with that later.

So, to summarize, you are in the BigDataX REU program from the
activities perspective. But from a funding source perspective, you are
part of another NSF award, which might have some implications on some
activities (such as today's lunch).

Sorry about the confusion.

Ioan

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu