[BigDataX] REU program survey?

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Jun 15 01:38:53 CDT 2015

Hi Matt,
We are starting the REU program tomorrow. Here is the schedule, in case
you are in and want to stop by to introduce yourself.

*Week 1*

*June 15^th , 2015 (Monday at IIT SB113)*

10am: Welcoming Remarks [Justin & Gruia]

11am: Introduction to Parallel Programming Systems [Justin]

12:30pm: Lunch with group

2:00pm: Parallel Programming Systems Projects [Justin]

*June 16^th , 2015 (Tuesday at IIT SB113) *

10am: Introduction to Theory [Gruia]

11:30am: Big Data Theory Projects [Gruia]

12:30pm: Introduction to the ACM Programming Contest [Gruia]

*June 17^th , 2015 (Wednesday at UChicago)*

10:00am: Logistics [Ioan]

10:30am: Introduction to Distributed Storage Systems [Ioan]

12:00pm: Lunch with group

1:30pm: Distributed Storage Systems Projects [Ioan]

3pm: Introduction to IEEE/ACM Student Cluster Competition [Ioan]

*June 18^th , 2015 (Thursday at UChicago)*

9am: Linux Tutorial [Tony]

10:30am: Introduction to Data-Intensive Computing Applications [Mike]

1:30pm: Data-Intensive Computing Applications Projects [Mike]

3:00pm: UChicago Campus Tour [Justin]

*June 19^th , 2015 (Friday at IIT SB113) *

9am: Systems Programming Tutorial [Tony]

10:30am: Q&A on Projects [Gruia, Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

12:00pm: Project Assignments [Gruia, Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

2:30pm: Breakout Session with Mentors [Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

             3:30pm: IIT Campus Tour [Tony]

I am not around Monday and Tuesday, but Gruia will be, so you can
coordinate with him anything you may need.

Ideally, we should give the students a survey to complete first thing in
the morning. The schedule is set to start at 10am with the welcome
remarks and introductions. There is 1 hour allocated, so I think we
could dedicate 10~20 minutes to allow students to take a survey. This is
all assuming that you have one ready for them to take. If this is too
short notice and you don't have it ready, let me know when you will have
it ready, and we will schedule the 1st survey at the first morning you
have it ready. If you want to send me any survey draft to review, please
do so, and I will try to get back to you with feedback on any other
questions we might need.

Thanks, and talk to you soon.

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu