[BigDataX] some logistics

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Jun 15 01:38:35 CDT 2015

Hi REU students,
Tomorrow is the first day of the BigDataX REU program, and you will be
starting at 10AM at Illinois Institute of Technology, in Stuart Building
room 113 (http://datasys.cs.iit.edu/contact/index.html).

Tomorrow, you will be going to lunch as a group on the IIT campus. The
lunch will be paid by one of the mentors going with you. The plan is to
go to another group lunch on Wednesday (the first day at UChicago), and
one of the mentors will pay for the group lunch. The rest of the days,
you are free to make your own plans for lunch in between the activities
we have planned.

Justin, Gruia, our funds we have can be used for the 9 BigDataX
students, and the mentors. If other students attend the lunch, please
tell them that they need to cover their own lunch. I will tell all the
other students about this policy, so it should not be a surprise.

Also, regarding office space at IIT, we have enough space for everyone,
even if you will only be at IIT occasionally. Since I am not around
Monday and Tuesday, and we have SB113 reserved from 9AM-5PM, please hang
out in this room for both days. Justin will be working to get you office
space at UChicago and hopefully will have this worked out until
Wednesday when we attend sessions there. And Friday (the first day you
will be back at IIT when I am around), I can show each of you your
office/desk where you can work when you will be at IIT, and I'll get
everyone keys to the lab.

I wish everyone a productive first two days to the program, and I will
see everyone on Wednesday once I get back from my trip.

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu