[BigDataX] schedule for 1st week of BigDataX REU 2015 program

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Sat Jun 13 09:42:22 CDT 2015

Dear BigDataX REU 2015 students,
Next week on Monday we are starting the BigDataX REU 2015 summer
program. We are excited to kick off the beginning of the program with
some exciting presentations made by the mentors at both IIT and UChicago.

The schedule is below:

*Week 1*

*June 15^th , 2015 (Monday at IIT SB113)*

10am: Welcoming Remarks [Justin & Gruia]

11am: Introduction to Parallel Programming Systems [Justin]

12:30pm: Lunch with group

2:00pm: Parallel Programming Systems Projects [Justin]

*June 16^th , 2015 (Tuesday at IIT SB113) *

10am: Introduction to Theory [Gruia]

11:30am: Big Data Theory Projects [Gruia]

12:30pm: Introduction to the ACM Programming Contest [Gruia]

*June 17^th , 2015 (Wednesday at UChicago)*

10:00am: Logistics [Ioan]

10:30am: Introduction to Distributed Storage Systems [Ioan]

12:00pm: Lunch with group

1:30pm: Distributed Storage Systems Projects [Ioan]

3pm: Introduction to IEEE/ACM Student Cluster Competition [Ioan]

*June 18^th , 2015 (Thursday at UChicago)*

9am: Linux Tutorial [Tony]

10:30am: Introduction to Data-Intensive Computing Applications [Mike]

1:30pm: Data-Intensive Computing Applications Projects [Mike]

3:00pm: UChicago Campus Tour [Justin]

*June 19^th , 2015 (Friday at IIT SB113) *

9am: Systems Programming Tutorial [Tony]

10:30am: Q&A on Projects [Gruia, Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

12:00pm: Project Assignments [Gruia, Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

2:30pm: Breakout Session with Mentors [Mike, Justin, and Ioan]

3:30pm: IIT Campus Tour [Tony]

Monday's first meeting will be in Stuart Building (SB) room 113. Here is
a map (see computer science), its at the corner of 31st and State.
http://datasys.cs.iit.edu/contact/index.html

10 W. 31st Street
Stuart Building, Room 113
Chicago, IL 60616

I and Mike will not be in on Monday and Tuesday, but Gruia and Justin
will be! All the mentors should be present by Wednesday. Gruia (and Ann
McBroom) can help you with any logistics about your employment paperwork
at IIT, if anything is left to be done. Anything that is left to do on
these logistics can be finalized on Friday when we will be at IIT and I
will be present.

The schedule is tight, please plan to arrive around 9:30AM at IIT, so
that we can start at 10AM sharp as scheduled.

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu