[BigDataX] Recommendation Letters

Yago Zardo yago.zardo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:55:48 CDT 2015

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Yago Pereira Zardo and I would like to apply for a position of summer intern on the BigDataX 2015 REU Program at Illinois Institute of Technology. I'm very interested in the research BigDataX and would like to acquire more practical experience, and improve my professional and personal skills. I learned of this opportunity through the IIT Undergraduate Research website.

I am a Computer Science student from Brazil and I am currently under a scholarship called Brazil Scientific Mobility Program (BSMP), which is a one-year, non-degree program for Brazilian students to study abroad in the United States. BSMP is an initiative, administered by Institute of International Education (IIE), which is part of the Brazilian government's larger effort to grant 100,000 scholarships to the best students from Brazil for study abroad at the world’s top universities. The program provides an exchange experience at a U.S. college or university to a diverse group of emerging Brazilian student leaders, widening the academic and research exchange between the U.S. and Brazil. This initiative is the result of joint efforts from two sponsoring organizations, CAPES and CNPq. (Please see the document “Letter of Support” attached herewith for details about the program). Presently, I am studying Computer Science at College of Staten Island/CUNY, in Staten Island, NY. My current GPA is 3.825 and I am a junior year student.

As you will see from my resume, I was a computer technician assistant at Chips Computadores, Goiania, Brazil, where I gained valuable experience and training in relation to costumer relation skills, plus in relation to computer repair. I also already developed and managed the company website. In addition I am currently developing a website for a car repair company from Tampa, FL. I think these experiences surely gave me the confidence to work with people, to understand how is a real job environment, understanding the costumer needs and develop a solution that reach their requests.

Even if you do not have a position that fits my profile, I would like to at least have the opportunity to work as a volunteer, since my sponsor, IIE, pays for all my travel expenses, housing. In addition to that, I am legally able to work because I am already a J-1 Visa Holder.

In this email, besides the “Letter of Support”, from IIE,  I attached two recommendation letters from my professors from Brazil. As a new student I believe that is hard to get a recommendation letter from my professors of U.S. because I don’t know them very well as I know my professors in Brazil. Plus I attached my resume and my Fall 2014 Transcript.

I would like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss any opportunities you might have. Please let me know if you have any questions. You can reach me by phone at (929) 264-2370 or by email at yago.zardo at gmail.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Yago Pereira Zardo

(929) 264 - 2370