[BigDataX] housing

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Mon Apr 6 10:48:57 CDT 2015

Hi Gruia, Justin, and Mike,
We don't have a single perfect solution for the housing, dates, and
costs. In the interest of moving forward, I proposed the following:
- leave the dates as advertised: 06/15 - 08/21
- have students in UChicago housing at $2656 a student
- we will likely be ~$10K over the budget, depending on how many
students end up taking our housing offer, but we have quite a few local
students and we could save some on the relocation expenses; we will
still be over the budget, but given that we are in the first year, we
can balance the budget in the 2nd, or even the 3rd year by cutting
something if needed, for example reducing to 7 students the 3rd year
might be necessary; but we can deal with that later

I have received some emails from students saying that they have already
accepted other offers, so I will go down the list we had in the order we
had ranked students, until we have 2 theory and 6 systems students. I
will cc the bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu <bigdatax at datasys.cs.iit.edu>
alias, so that everyone is in the loop. I will give students 5 business
days to accept, the deadline will be April 10th at 5PM CST. I can get
the official offers out to the students today right after class, in the
early afternoon.

Email:    iraicu at cs.iit.edu